THE STORY OF RICCIONE
How was Riccione born?
The first archaeological finds of Riccione are found in the city museum and date back to the 2nd century BC.
At the time of the Romans, the first inhabited nucleus was located in the San Lorenzo district. Today we find the archaeological site that can be visited (excavation opened under the pharmacy), whose name is Vicus Popilius.
The Roman bridge over the Rio Melo is not far from there.
In 1260 the Florentine Agolanti family settled in Riccione, of which the remains of the homonymous castle on the Riccione hills remain.
History of the marine colonies in Rimini and Romagna
The bathing area called "Colonia" was an old building that was used as a boarding school. In the summer, it hosted children in need of effective marine care for some forms of rickets.
In the 19th century a project was carried out, the idea was to transform the coastal area for tourism purposes.
The daring and inexperienced people of Riccione (who thanks to sacrifices and bills of exchange) built their houses and businesses with a great desire to do and continually improve, to meet the needs of "foreigners", who have always recognized and continue to appreciate our hospitality and friendliness.
In the early 1900s, more than five thousand tourists from Emilia, Lombardy and Veneto came to spend their summer holidays and began building houses, villas, marine colonies for frail children and spas.
The Rimini - Novafeltria railway was completed on 18 June 1922
Riccione - The statue of Ceccarini in the underpass
The development of the city is largely due to the Ceccarini family, especially to his wife Maria Boorman Wheeler, American and widow of her doctor husband, who made an important economic contribution to the construction of the hospital and to other important social initiatives. On 9 October 2012, a statue was dedicated to her in Viale Ceccarini, created by the sculptor Leonardo Lucch.
August 16, 1916 - the Rimini earthquake that shocked Romagna
On August 16, 1916, during the First World War, Riccione suffered a strong seismic swarm that devastated the city.
Municipality of Riccione: birth and fascism
The people of Riccione fought from 1907 to 1922, with the support of the Duce, to no longer be subjects of the Municipality of Rimini which feared competition from tourists. Until 1922, Riccione was a fraction of the Municipality of Rimini, 10km away.
In order to become a municipality, at least 4,000 inhabitants were required. In 1921 Riccione had over 5,000 inhabitants.
Riccione obtained the recognition of "Health and stay station" in 1926. The Mussolini family decides to move from Cattolica to Riccione for their holidays. Riccione, born as a municipality thanks to a fascist provision, was considered more suitable for the ideas of the regime, becoming his summer residence for ten years.
The Rimini-Riccione electric tram line was inaugurated in 1927
The first connections to the gas, water and electricity network were made in the 1930s.
The Romagna Riviera was the beach of the wealthiest Italians and their Duce.
Riccione was shown by the films of the regime, with sporting initiatives, tennis, sailing, motorcycle and pigeon shooting competitions, which are part of the fascist culture.
The civil airport of Miramare di Rimini was inaugurated in 1928 and the "Grand Hotel in Riccione owned by Gaetano Ceschina in 1929, was the most grandiose hotel on the Romagna Riviera with 155 rooms, 265 beds, 25 en-suite bathrooms, 3 tennis courts tennis, miniature golf, telephone and garage.
The first Palazzo del Turismo on the Adriatic coast was inaugurated in 1938 and the Luce newsreel named Riccione "one of the most beautiful and popular beaches in Italy". In the 1930s, accommodation facilities, pensions and hotels surpassed private accommodation.
On 10 June 1944 there was the first aerial bombardment in Riccione during World War II. The Allies caused more damage than the Germans.
Over the years, Riccione became one of the major "fashionable" places in Italy, becoming the meeting and meeting point of the "beautiful society", hosting the best national and international artists in its premises.
A hurricane hit the Romagna coast from Cesenatico to Cattolica on 8 June 1964
The hurricane only ended around 10 pm, causing damage of about two billion lire, unfortunately there were also some deaths. The next day, the German tourists went to the beach to help the lifeguards, who, to thank them at the time of their departure, made big discounts.
A date to remember is June 8, 1964. Since 1965, on June 8, the lifeguards of Riccione have organized the Lifeguard party, in honor of the guests who helped and who were close to us in those terrible moments.
The statue of the "Madonna del Mare" protects the fishermen who have been sailing from the Riccione port for years.